So, I hope you will all forgive me for taking a personal day. I usually try to keep the focus away from me and try to offer things that either help or are fun expressions of womanhood, but today is a little bit different.
Today is a special day. Ten years ago today, my sweet husband and I were married. We promised each other to be faithful and true. We made covenants that we would honor each other, and work towards a larger good.
I remember all the rush and fun of that day. It was beautiful – clear skies, and a little breeze. I was so excited. My parents drove me to the temple that day. As I sat in the back of the car, I remember feeling a distinct calm: an utter peace that this was the right thing for me.
Although we have been through our share of trials, good things and bad, we are still going strong! On our 10 year anniversary, I want to share 10 things about my husband and our relationship that have truly meant the world to me in our marriage:
1. You brought me light. I remember there was a time when I thought I wouldn’t get married. I was older, and had been through quite a gamet with dating. I never dated a man who was as truly devoted and loyal to me as you were and are. You brought light into my life when I was settling into being alone. You brought hope and comfort to me in times when I didn’t know if hope and comfort would come.
2. You are imperfect. I know it. You know it. And we learn.
3. I am imperfect. I make mistakes — every day. You love me still. Thank you.
4. You understand my language. I know I don’t always communicate clearly, but you still get it. You listen with more than your ears, and you understand me. We can disagree without it affecting the knowledge of our love. We work together to find compromises, and we are mostly successful. Thanks for listening with all that you have.
5. You love me more. We waited, and hoped, and prayed for children. Finally, we were blessed with two. I wondered how having children would change us. We had been together, alone, for several years, and bringing two into the family at once was exciting, overwhelming, and slightly threatening. Yet, you still put me first. I remember when our sweet one said, “Daddy, do you love me more than mommy?” And you said, “Sweetheart, I will always love mommy first.” You love me more.
6. You love our girls to pieces. I never doubted that you would make a good dad, but I never imagined how great of a dad you would be. Before we had children, I knew that I loved you. After we had children, I was amazed at how much more love a heart can hold. When I see you with our girls, my heart expands, and my love for you grows ever-more.
7. Patience. I married a patient man. Thank you sweetheart for being so utterly patient with me. I have a temper. I am impatient. I am sometimes demanding and yet you always are there. You always wait. I should have known how patient you were after our first Valentine’s day. The night before I cried because you ‘didn’t have anything planned’. You didn’t say a word even though you had gone to significant effort to plan a surprise for me. A sweet surprise of roses and snowflakes and handwritten notes about what you love about me. I still have those notes. That day is forever written in my heart. Thank you for being patient with me.
8. Fun. I love how our girls get so excited when daddy is home. You bring fun into our home. I have a tendency to be a little serious, and focused on task completion. You have greater ability to stop and enjoy life along the way. Thank you for continuing to teach me this. I know I have a lot to learn.
9. Devotion. I once dated a man who told me he had dated 650 girls and I was in his top ten. What?!??! Was that supposed to be a compliment? In our relationship and marriage, I know I have always been number one. It doesn’t matter if my teeth aren’t brushed. It doesn’t matter if my hair is a mess, and I don’t have any makeup on. It doesn’t even matter if you are upset with me. I never doubt that you are devoted to me. And I am devoted to you! Thank you, sweetheart, for being so devoted!
10. Goodness. I don’t know how it happened, because I know I am not always worthy of it, but you are a good man. I understand your goodness more and more each year. You truly try to do what is right, and although neither of us get it right all the time, you really try. Thank you for having a good heart, good intentions, and working to be good.
There are 100 more things I could say, especially since I am feeling a little emotional today, but I will keep it to 10. Maybe I will tell you the other things, just between us. 🙂
I love you so much, honey. Thank you for choosing me!
Thank you all for being patient with my personal day. I hope you all give your loved ones a hug today and tell them how much you love them!
Happy 10 Years, sweetheart!! I can’t wait for more!