OK. I really didn’t know whether to call this baked French toast or bread pudding. I finally settled on Baked French Toast because then it is more acceptable to eat for breakfast! This is like having dessert for breakfast, and if I want to eat dessert for breakfast on Mother’s Day no one is going to stop me!
This is truly delish!! I loved it so much with my homemade syrup, but you could serve with regular syrup or be fancy and get some caramel sauce!! Oh, my mouth is watering talking about it!
A couple tips: Use day old bread. This helps soak up the egg mixture. Second, make sure you really do soak it overnight. That will help it not be soggy and give it the “bread pudding” texture.
You do need a little prep time to make this happen.
I am trying a new recipe app. Let me know how you like it!! Hopefully it will allow you to save and print the recipe more conveniently.
Here are the ingredients:
- 1/2 loaf bread, cubed and a little bit stale (I left mine on the counter for an afternoon)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heaving whipping cream
- scant 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- Grease 8x8 inch pan.
- Place cubed bread into pan.
- Mix eggs, cream, milk, sugar and vanilla together. Pour over cubed bread.
- Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- In another bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add butter and cut together until butter is in small pieces. Add chocolate chips. Store in plastic bag in fridge.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Take out pan with bread and egg mixture and sprinkle brown sugar/chocolate chip topping on top.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until hot, bubbly, and firm.
- Serve with syrup or caramel sauce.
- Use stale or day-old bread. Be sure to let it soak overnight!
This recipe is truly divine!! My entire family loved it–even my savory-breakfast-eating hubby! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. This should serve about 6 people.
Oh! I am craving this right now!!