Memorial Day always reminds me of two things: the people who have served our country and died for it, and family barbecues. Let us all remember those who have given their lives for our own freedoms.
I hope you are each able to celebrate the life of someone you love this Memorial Day! Spend some quality time with the loved ones around you. Have a BBQ!!
So, I bought this pineapple for 99 cents. Yup, and it is a delicious pineapple. Since I was grilling hamburgers and had this sweet, delicious pineapple sitting on my counter, I decided to grill some pineapple. Yup. Grilled. Sweet, grilled pineapple. Yum!!
Here is the recipe:
- 1 pineapple, cut into thick strips or rounds
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3-4 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- Cut pineapple.
- Mix orange juice, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Pour over pineapple and allow to marinate for 30 minutes to overnight.
- Heat grill.
- Grill pineapple for 3-4 minutes on each side until you get nice brown grill marks on each side.
- If you put pineapple into a bag to marinate, it is easier to turn and ensure that it gets evenly distributed.
- If you don't want to grill your pineapple, this marinade is delicious without even grilling! It is sweet and the cinnamon gives it just a hint of flavor that only adds to the sweetness of the pineapple.
- Grilling gives the pineapple a smoky warmth that is delish!!
- P.S. Pineapple does not have to be grilled to be edible. 🙂
I snagged some right from the marinade before grilling, and I must say it was delicious just that way!! If you are not sure you want to grill your pineapple, just try it with the marinade alone! The sweetness of brown sugar and tangy-ness of the orange juice pair so nicely with the hint of cinnamon and the oh-so-sweet pineapple!
We served this with grilled hamburgers and kale chips. It was a delicious sweet side, plus it looks simply gorgeous. I could not take enough pictures. It is a little difficult to take pictures with a piece of pineapple in your hands. 🙂
Hope you all have a wonderful Memorial Day, and are able to spend some quality time with family.
Happy Memorial Day!