This was just for fun. I bought some delicious blueberries, and as I was cruising around Pinterest I realized we are headed into Red, White and Blue territory. Hooray summer!!
So, you know that I don’t make a successful from-scratch cupcake, but these were yummy using a strawberry cake mix.
They would also be fun for a holiday, or even for Father’s Day!! A special cupcake for a special “fruitcake” in my life! Ha, ha! I love you, sweetheart! Since he can’t eat chocolate cupcakes, we try to make exceptions.
These were a great exception!!
Here is the recipe:
- 1 strawberry cake mix, prepared according to package directions
- 1/2 c. butter, softened
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3 1/2 to 4 + cups powdered sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1/3 cup blueberries, pureed
- fresh blueberries for topping
- Bake strawberry cupcakes according to package directions.
- Set aside to cool.
- Mix butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Add 3-3 1/2 cups powdered sugar and salt until right consistency. If you choose, set aside a small amount of frosting to use as a"white" dollop on top of the blueberry frosting.
- Puree blueberries. Be creative!!
- Add pureed blueberries to remainder of frosting and mix. At this point, you will want to add more powdered sugar. I added about 1/2 to 3/4 cup more powdered sugar. It will seem soft.
- Put frosting in fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Frost cupcakes and decorate!
- After frosting, I liked to keep these refrigerated until right before serving. Although I prefer my cupcakes room temperature, the frosting on these is best kept slightly cool.
Can I have another one??
Happy Father’s Day week!!
What are you doing to celebrate Father’s Day??