With the month of love upon us, and with Valentine’s Day around the corner, I thought to share some of my favorite quotes on love. There are so many types of love in this life. Love of a spouse. Love for a child. Love for a parent or a friend. All the different types of love can broaden our perspective and make us better, more giving and open.
Here are 16 of my favorite inspiring love quotes.
1. You know when you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. – Dr. Seuss
2. Do small things with great love. – Mother Teresa
3. Love is not something we simply fall into. Love is something that we give of ourselves – a piece of our hearts that we freely and openly give away. The magnificent thing about love is that when we freely give, it changes us. We move from being mere mortals and delve into aspects of the divine.
4. To love another person is to see the face of God. – Victor Hugo
5. I saw that you were perfect and so I loved you. Then I saw that you were not perfect and I loved you even more. – Angelita Lim
6. Love is a meeting of two souls, fully accepting the dark and the light within each other, bound by the courage to grow through struggle into bliss. – Author Unknown
7. They say love is blind. I disagree. Infatuation is blind. Love is all-seeing and accepting. Love is seeing the flaws and blemishes and accepting them. Love is accepting the bad habits and mannerisms, and working around them. Love is recognizing all the fears and insecurities, and knowing your role is to comfort. Love is working through all the challenges and painful times. Infatuation is fragile and will shatter when life is not perfect. Love is strong and it strengthens because it is real. – Author Unknown
8. Falling in love is easy, but staying in love is very special. – Author Unknown
9. In the end there doesn’t have to be anyone who understands you. There just has to be someone who wants to. – Robert Brault
10. In French, you don’t say, “I miss you.” You say, “Tu me manques” which means, “You are missing from me.” I love that. – Author Unknown
11. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that. – Martin Luther King, Jr.
12. When I follow my heart, it leads me to you. – Author Unknown
13. I have for the first time found what I can truly love–I have found you. You are my sympathy–my better self–my good angel–I am bound to you with a strong attachment. I think you good, gifted, lovely: a fervent, a solemn passion is conceived in my heart; it leans to you, draws you to my centre and spring of life, wrap my existence about you–and, kindling in pure, powerful flame, fuses you and me in one. – Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
14. What greater thing is there for two human souls, than to feel that they are joined for life — to strengthen each other in all labor, to rest on each other in all sorrow, to minister to each other in all pain, to be one with each other in silent unspeakable memories at the moment of the last parting? – George Eliot
15. Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. – Katherine Hepburn
16. It’s not how much we give but how much love we put into giving. – Mother Teresa
However you celebrate love this month, I hope that each one of you feels love in some part of your lives. You deserve it.
Happy Valentine’s Day!