I love this cheesy cheddar potato soup during the colder months. It is a version of the Lion House Recipe of Canadian Cheese Soup. I made it last week as my hubby and litle ones have not felt well. It makes enough for a crowd, so we had lots of leftovers for our small family.
Here is the recipe:
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1/2 c. onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 c. flour
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 4 cups milk or half and half
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup carrots, cooked and chopped finely
- 2 cups hashbrown potatoes, or shredded potatoes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Saute onion in melted butter for about 5 minutes, until translucent but not brown.
- Add flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper.
- Cook on low heat for a few minutes, stirring.
- Add milk and chicken stock.
- Cook, stirring constantly until soup begins to thicken.
- Add chopped carrots and hashbrowns.
- Cook together for several minutes to ensure potatoes are cooked.
- Add cheese just before serving.
- Season to taste.
- You may add different veggies if you so choose. The original recipe does not add potatoes, but cooked celery. This would also be good with cooked broccoli or cauliflower in place of potatoes and carrots. This soup stores well in the refrigerator for several days. Warm with milk on the stove.
This cheesy cheddar potato soup hits the spot!! Serve with crackers and bread and enjoy!
I love soup during the winter. If you have a great soup recipe, leave me a note! I am always on the lookout for a new one to try!!
If you liked this soup, you may also like: