I am seeing a pattern begin with all these chicken recipes!! I guess we eat a lot of chicken at my house. This is funny because when we were first married, my sweet hubby didn’t consider chicken “meat”. To be real meat, it must be beef! We’ve come a long way, baby!!
So, this chicken and green chile casserole came about because I was looking for something for dinner that would be easy and yummy. I love Mexican food, and this fit the bill.
I must admit that I struggled with spelling chile, because it kept coming up underlined in red… Is it chile, chili, or chilie? Chili is the only one that comes up right, but I always think of the brown, spicy chili that you make with beef! See my recipe here for a fabulous chili recipe.
But, as I did a little research, chile is the preferred spelling. If you have a preference, let me know. It doesn’t really matter to me as long as it tastes good!!
Here is the recipe:
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and cut into small bites
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can (4 oz.) green chiles
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2-3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- about 15 corn tortillas cut into small pieces
- Mix soup, green chiles, milk, salsa and cream cheese together.
- In a 9x13 pan, layer about half of sauce, tortillas, chicken and cheese.
- Top with remaining corn tortillas and cheese.
- Bake 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes until hot and bubbly and cheese is starting to brown,
- Serve with refried beans, fruit, or Mexican rice.
- Top with green onion and olives! Delicious!
Enjoy! If you have a great casserole recipe, please leave me a link or a recipe below! I love trying new foods. Casseroles are a great one to feed a crew for less.
Have a beautiful week!